--------------------<snip>--------------------------
It all depends on how such things are measured. Our dominance isn't as pervasive as it once was, as alternatives have matured. Is that losing?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: each platform has strengths and weaknesses. Which platform is the "right" platform depends on the needs of the business.

One of the biggest problems we encounter is that management types very seldom look at the business from this viewpoint and end up making decisions that might not be the best. I'd hate to try building work-processing documents on a z/OS platform, when so many very highly usable packages exist for the Intel-based platform. But I'd ALSO hate like the dickens to have to go data-mining for a few transactions in a multi-million transaction database on a PC. And let's face it, backup/restore mechanisms for Windoze-based (or ?ix) platforms just aren't very robust. I just spent the better part of two days restoring a 400G hard drive from DVD backup and it was NOT FUN! And I use regular incremental backups!