2008/6/23 Timothy Sipples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> You can be darn sure the card approval service -- the GDPS-based (likely)
> application that approves or denies your card transaction -- is still
> working round the clock. So the mainframe is still working.
>
> Chances are the Web front end is not (yet) on the mainframe, and that might
> be the problem. There could also be problems with the architecture --
> somebody might have thought it would be a good idea to replicate the
> billing database, and so that has to close when the master billing database
> is in a batch cycle because it would be out of sync and present the
> customer with an old version of the truth.
>
> Now, the Web customer self-service applications might have very different
> SLAs than card approval, and that might even be a sensible business
> decision....
[snip]

I use Google Adwords on a very small scale, and I am amused to see
that every few weeks they have what they call a "short scheduled
downtime", usually in midday Saturday. In their case, "short" is 5 1/2
hours! Well it's only the admin interface; the ads continue to be
served and the money collected, but still - what are they doing with
their hugely multi-processor architecture that requires this?

Tony H.