-----------------------------<snip>-------------------------
This wasn't an option when the costs of each data center and the costs of data synchronization between data centers was prohibitive, but times change.

We are looking at floods, earthquakes, terrorism making the concept of a single data center obsolete for large enterprises. So instead of spending money on 9 nines, spend it on more data centers.
AGREED! The cost of a DR service for a large enterprise can be prohibitive, whereas the cost of maintaining a second data center is slowly coming down. I predict that we will be subject to a floor function here, but it's highly likely to be less expensive than a DR service. And the cost and timeliness of cutting over will be far smaller, both in terms of customer impact and corporate dollars.

And this is all assuming that you can find a DR service with enough resources to handle your large enterprise. Remember that you might not be the only victims; you might have to share the site with other shops, like we did, during the "Great Chicago Flood" in the early 90's. (Lots of roses to SunGard; they did us fine, but we were a fairly small shop.)