FWIW, I pretty much agree with you.  I'm not terribly comfortable with
the "Let it fail" philosophy, though; I would feel obligated to try to
save the company/agency some pain if I could do it simply by pointing
out some potential red flags.

"Let it fail" is not a philosphy, but rather it is an attempt to let decision-makers be responsible for the decisions they make. In the scenario described there is apparently a management decision and a project manager that believe that the z/series processor can be migrated in the next 6 months. It would appear that the onus is on them to deliver.

From their perspective, there is no "pain" from which to save them. Any
attempt to convince them otherwise will only reflect negatively on the "advice-giver".

Besides ... what makes everyone so sure that they're wrong?

Adam