>>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at  1:15 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Linda Mooney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I too don't care how long it takes to load.  Can it run on a z800? I would
> very much like to do a POC with z/VM and z/Linux.  If it can run on z
> machines other than the z10, why not just let us know the caveats?  The slow
> initial DVD load can take a week and I would still be interested.

So, call your IBM rep and ask him to start the process to do a no-cost
evaluation of z/VM.  Tell him/her you'd also like an IFL or two, and some real
storage loaned to you as well.  Then download the Linux distribution of your
choice, and wait for all the pieces to come together.  If your IBM rep says
they don't know what you're talking about, send me their name off-list, and
they'll get a visit from the Clue Fairy.

The other point I'd like to make here is that it's not just "the initial load"
that would be slow on a z9 or older box.  The z/VM system doesn't actually get
installed to DASD with z/VM 5.3 EE.  It loads everything from the DVD-RAM into
storage, and executes from there.  If you shut down the system, and re-IPL it,
you get to wait again.  For people with pre-z10 hardware, it really would be
better to just an evaluation copy of z/VM 5.3.

Mark Post