On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:41:03 -0500, Kenneth E Tomiak
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Any language can have problems if the author lacks basic programming skills
>for error handling. Make sure data is correct and use every available file-
>status/SQLCODE/return code instead of assuming an operation worked. It will
>bloat your code and make it run longer than not taking such precautions. Even
>check file-status on a WRITE as you may have run out of space. How many
>programmers ever do that?
>
>The best system design principles I learned are that the programs handling
>data input handle validation, so that the other programs that merely handle
>data do not have to revalidate what is supposed to be already validated data.
>That reduces the run-time of the back end programs but raises the risk some
>future design change will get overlooked as to all of the affected programs
>and an abend will be in your future. Every program sstill needs to check file-
>status/SQLCODE/return code for the potential of a problem.
>
>Do you want someone to give you a list of of silly things not to do like divide
>by zero, use non-numeric fields in numeric operations, don't use subscripts
>wisely, and ignore checking file-status/SQLCODE/return code?

Hello,

I agree with you that it is very interesting to check if return codes are
used. I can detect potential severe bugs like this.

About your last question, it could be useful if you have a list of silly
things not to do. Do you have such a list? Even if it is partial, it would
be interesting.

Thanks in advance.

Regards