Any language can have problems if the author lacks basic programming skills
for error handling. Make sure data is correct and use every available file-
status/SQLCODE/return code instead of assuming an operation worked. It will
bloat your code and make it run longer than not taking such precautions. Even
check file-status on a WRITE as you may have run out of space. How many
programmers ever do that?

The best system design principles I learned are that the programs handling
data input handle validation, so that the other programs that merely handle
data do not have to revalidate what is supposed to be already validated data.
That reduces the run-time of the back end programs but raises the risk some
future design change will get overlooked as to all of the affected programs
and an abend will be in your future. Every program sstill needs to check file-
status/SQLCODE/return code for the potential of a problem.

Do you want someone to give you a list of of silly things not to do like divide
by zero, use non-numeric fields in numeric operations, don't use subscripts
wisely, and ignore checking file-status/SQLCODE/return code?