We are looking hard at this. Based on the number of servers we have to be
consolidated, there are significant potential savings available.

We are at the POC stage. I.E. The financials have been reviewed and look
promising. IBM is willing to make IFLs and z/VM avail on a "trial basis" at no
charge for evaluation purposes (90 days IIRC). Contact your IBM rep for details.

While I have no personal experience with actual deployment at this time, I know
of some respected individuals at other companies that have performed at least a
partial consolidation and are extremely happy with the results.

HTH,

P.S. DB2 can be a substitute for ORACLE in this case.

<snip>
We run z/OS 1.8 but no Oracle on the mainframe. We have some Unix machines
running Oracle apps. We are considering exploring utilizing Oracle on the
mainframe and moving some Oracle apps off the Unix machines to the mainframe
with the intent of saving on the Oracle licenses, among other things.

Has anyone gone this route? Moving Oracle apps off Unix machines  and onto the
mainframe?

If so, did you save money? Improve service?

Any problems doing this?

Any expenses that make this not feasible?

Is anyone aware of any books or documentation that gives information on doing
this?
</snip>