From: John McKown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: question about Oracle on the mainframe
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 8:00 PM

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:52:31 -0700, Kurt Eastwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We run z/OS 1.8 but no Oracle on the mainframe. We have some Unix machines
running Oracle apps. We are considering exploring utilizing Oracle on the
mainframe and moving some Oracle apps off the Unix machines to the mainframe
with the intent of saving on the Oracle licenses, among other things.

>Has anyone gone this route? Moving Oracle apps off Unix machines  and onto
the mainframe?

>If so, did you save money? Improve service?
>
>Any problems doing this?
>
>Any expenses that make this not feasible?
>
>Is anyone aware of any books or documentation that gives information on
doing this?

>Thanks to everyone in advance.
>Kurt

Are you aware that Oracle on z/OS is "functionally stabilized" at
release
10? I.e. the newer Oracle releases will not be ported to run under z/OS at
all. As of right now, release 10 remains supported on z/OS.

As another said, I've read of a number of z/Linux users using Oracle quite
happily.

--
John