On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:06:42 +0000, john gilmore wrote:

>Tom Marchant has made another of his characteristic contributions...

Thank you. And Mr. Gilmore has once again failed to shed any light.

>Mr. Marchant reminded me that an entire DD DUMMY statement
>can also be overridden.  This is true, and I am also prepared to
>concede that the earth is an oblate spheroid.

Huh?

It is indeed true that an entire DD DUMMY statement can be overridden.

That was not, however, the point of my post, nor did I mention it.
What I said was:

>>...  A DD DUMMY...
>>can be overridden by supplying an overriding DD statement
>>containing a DSNAME other than NULLFILE....
>>Furthermore, any other parameters that
>>were specified on the DD DUMMY will be used.

This was not a reference to overriding an entire DD statement.  Let me spell
it out for you.  If the following DD statement appears in  PROC:

//DD1  DD  DUMMY,DCB=(LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=800,RECFM=FB),
//        UNIT=3390,VOL=SER=VOL123,SPACE=(TRK,(10,20)),
//        DISP=(NEW,CATLG)

It can be overridden by this:

//PROCNAME.DD1  DD  DSN=SYS1.TEST

The DSName from the overriding DD statement will override the
DUMMY parameter and all other parameters from the original DD
statement are used.  The result is the same as if the original DD
statement were coded as:

//DD1  DD  DSN=SYS1.TEST,DCB=(LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=800,RECFM=FB),
//        UNIT=3390,VOL=SER=VOL123,SPACE=(TRK,(10,20)),
//        DISP=(NEW,CATLG)

Mr. Gilmore has repeatedly asserted that DUMMY is different from
NULLFILE, as for example,
On Tue, 31 May 2005 15:16:36 +0000, john gilmore wrote:

>>>Once written within a procedure neither of the DD statements
>>>
>>>//<ddname> DD DUMMY
>>>
>>>or
>>>
>>>//<ddname> DD DUMMY, . . .
>>>
>>>can be altered into one that in fact is functional, permits non-null outputs
>>>to be written or non-null
>>>inputs to be read.
>>>
>>>On the other hand
>>>
>>>//SYSPRINT  DD DSN=NULLFILE,BLKSIZE=0,LRECL=137,RECFM=VBA
>>>
>>>can be altered readily by simply supplying a different licit value of DSN=.

DUMMY and DSN=NULLFILE can both be overridden by simply providing
a new DSName.

--
Tom Marchant