2008/11/18 Mark Zelden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Since you are the Simplist vendor I assume you must know that the
> people you are responding to have Simplist.  If you know they don't,
> then prefacing all your responses with "if you have simplist" is nothing
> more than advertising.    I'd really hate it if all the vendors took your
> lead and responded this way to questions.  The archives would be
> full of advise that most people couldn't use.

There's another aspect to vendor posting that in the past has tempered
my comments. For a variety of reasons, some of our customers have
explicit contracts with us to the effect that we may not use their
name in connection with our product(s), either in any case at all, or
more often, without advance permission (which is not always given). I
obviously don't keep all such customer agreements in my head, nor are
current versions casually available to me. So if I see a post from
someone who I happen to know works for one of our customers, it may
not be appropriate for me to say on a forum like this "since you have
our product X, you could do so and so". So I can either send private
mail to the person, or I can post publicly in a way that doesn't
announce to the world that they have our product X, which is what Dave
did. The latter at least has the advantage of telling other customers
who have our product X how to do the same thing, rather then
encouraging many private emails each seen by just one person. And if
the customer wants to say on the list that they do have product X,
then the conversation can continue in public, if there's more to say.

Sure, there's also the possibility of getting our product name out
there in public, but in my experience it's rare to get a product
inquiry, let alone sale, from such a post, and it certainly isn't a
big part of product marketing.

Tony H.