THANKS JOHN !

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John McKown
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: FALL BACK TIME CHANGE EST

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:51:51 -0600, Kammer, Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>This is pretty much what we do as timing is important since we support
>the
County Jail.  There are documented cases of people being released from
custody because "computer records" proved they were arrested before the
crime occurred.

>Charles S. Kammer

Which simply reinforces my point that all computer time stamps should be
recorded in GMT time, not local. If needed, they can be converted from
GMT to local time when displayed. Of course, this latter means that the
conversion routine needs to know how to convert (i.e. when DST started
and ended for every particular year). In Linux, this is kept in a system
TZDATA file. Wish z/OS had something similar.

--
John

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html