Howard Brazee wrote:
I remember running a flow-chart program around 1980 that made
absolutely no sense to me.   Why have a program read a CoBOL program
and create a flow chart?   It's much easier to read the CoBOL program
itself.    Documentation is useful in telling us what the program is
SUPPOSED to be doing, and why.  It should tell us who made business
decisions about the program.   It should explain data flow and impacts
outside of the job or dialog.

1) For non-programmers, it offers at least a small chance of understanding what a program is supposed to do, for instance, your boss's boss.

2) While reading the program, you have to flip back and forth between pages or screens, making it hard to build and maintain a good picture of what's going on; i.e., you get lost in the details.

But I'm biased, having written the output portion of ADR's Autoflow for the 709x.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT