On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 20:52:55 +0000, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>Most, if not all, auditors are bound by confidentiality agreements.
>So, they can only report to the higher ups.

>And, in most companies, they cannot enforce anything, only report.

I don't suppose you have any data to support those assertions, do you?

While I agree with you that auditors *should* only report compliance, that
is certainly not always the case.

I have been in environments where management was afraid to challenge the
auditors.  As a result, the auditor's word was law.  I have also been in
environments where it was the auditors who made the rules because no one
else knew what the rules should be.  Of course, neither did the auditors.

I know that there others on this list who have had similar experiences.
Perhaps that's the subject of yet another survey.

--
Tom Marchant