Thanks for all the suggestions.

Update.  We experienced another 'hang' lasting 2 minutes.  LOGREC indicated
SFTABN (S0222) on the same low priority batch job before both hangs.  The
programmer indicated the job was doing many inserts/updates to various DB2
tables before it was canceled (this was on a test DB2 system).

We opened an incident with IBM - they indicated a DB2 roll back could not
have caused the hang of the Console address space.

We are still persuing with IBM.

Are the any z/OS 1.9 uniprocessor configs out there?  Have any default
settings changed in 1.9 that I should look at?  I am reviewing a uniprocessor
white paper from Dec 2006.  Any other ideas??

Answers to questions from other posters questions:

LOGREC did not indicated any ABEND071.

Environment.  2096-R01 (1CP with 1 zIIP and 2 IFL).  4 LPARs (2 z/OS 2
LINUX).  Only 2 are active (the z/OS 1.9 in question and 1 test LINUX).  z/OS
does not run under z/VM.

IBM reports no 'phone home' events.  No messages on the HMC.

Problems happened at 10:47-10:51 and 13:28-13:30.

SMF/RMF INTVAL(30) SYNCVAL(30) at top and bottom of hour.  Nothing of
consequence ended before the problem (except the DB2 test batch job
mentioned above).

The highest priority batch job we have is IMP=4.

Not sure about the DASD caching stats in RMF.

The DASD is an EMC DMX4 (new as of Dec 08).  It is shared with the other
LPARs and some open systems.  The new DASD is connected via 4 FICON.
This replaced a DMX2 connected by 24 ESCON.  The devices are mirrored to
an off site device.  However, there were no reported DASD hardware or
communication problems.

No IPLs during the hangs.

No hit the stop button.

The new DMX4 has a 4 minute MIH setting.  The second problem was 2
minutes long.

There were TCPIP error messages after the hang - they were attributed to
being the victim not the cause.