>It is the time the ENQ will be promoted.
>If you have a shop that routinely submits lots of jobs that get initiated and
>remain in ENQ contention, (say, everyone and their uncle wants SMF data from
>tape) too high of
a value is going to cause extra CPU cycles to be wasted.
>You're going to promote the DP for all those ENQ holders for no reason at all
>for a longer period of time.

This is one of those cases where any ERV is problematic.
The issue, in this case, is NOT the value of ERV.
The issue is scheduling.
In the case you sited, we don't let everybody's uncle near SMF.
And, in Production, we address this by re-scheduling jobs so there are fewer
(hopefully no) conflicts.

My proposed value is for those (hopefully) rare (and short) times when an ENQ
conflict cannot be avoided.

If you are having constant conflicts, then adjusting the ERV is just addressing
the symptoms.
The real question is: "Why are we having all these contentious events"?

It is the time the ENQ will be promoted.    If you have a shop that routinely
submits lots of jobs that get initiated and remain in ENQ contention,
(say, everyone and their uncle wants SMF data from tape) too high of
a value is going to cause extra CPU cycles to be wasted.  You're going to
promote the DP for all those ENQ holders for no reason at all for a longer
period of time.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!