Chris Mason wrote:

>The key word here may be "exit".

I will avoid talking about VTAM exit, because I never have any experience with
it...

>I have no experience with RACF exits but I do - or used to - with VTAM
exits - and those of  some related products. My understanding of an "exit" is
that it is a point in the supplied product code where a customer might want to
impose some logic which cannot be handled by supplying values to the
product customisation parameters.

Correct. It is also my own understanding. Some exits are meant to
allow/disallow exceptions at a local place. Example: SMFUTL can be used to
force 522 abends or allow to continue depending on your own whims.

>Nevertheless, it was always my understanding that the purpose of those
*sample* exits was to inspire a customer systems programmer in implementing
his or her own exit according to any specific local requirements. In other
words, the *sample* exit was *not* to be regarded as a part of the supplied
product having the same status with regard to support as the rest.

Or show the specific restriction wherein the exit is to be assembled and linked.

>Thus, given the assumptions above, it is no surprise to me that RACF have
not "revisited" the supplied assumed to be *sample* exit in order to ensure it
conforms to the best coding practices probably several years on from when it
was first offered to no doubt grateful system programmers needing a bit of
help to get them started with their own efforts.

RACF do have some exits, but usage of RACF exits is to be avoided generally
from a security viewpoint. But, as observed in RACF-L, there is still a serious
need to code RACF exits and many discussions about coding of exits do take
place from time to time.

Other side note of exits: Due to lack of resourceful people, usage of exits are
not that recommended because of maintenance issues...

PS: I don't have at the moment any documentations to reinforce what I said
here, but if you can disprove anything I said, I would be glad to hear (or
read)
about it.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

PS: Chris, thanks for your interesting posts on IBM-MAIN!