On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:14:07 -0500, Robert A. Rosenberg <hal9...@panix.com>
wrote:

>There is also the issue of using a BALR (or BASR) in lieu of
>instructions that do not need Base Registers (ie: Not allowing the
>macro to be used in a BASELESS program).

That's true.  But BALR (as opposed to BAL) does not need a base register.

If we're still talking about RACROUTE, I believe it should work just fine in
a baseless program, assuming that
(a) you write reentrant code and use L- and E-forms of the macro, and
(b) you've included IEABRC to handle a few B and BNZ instructions that it
generates.

I can't comment on other system macros, though, as I haven't looked at them
in this regard.

--
  Walt Farrell, CISSP
  IBM STSM, z/OS Security Design