I probably should have added "(or not very much)" to that statement.

> o Is there a driver that will let IEBCOPY (for example) unload a
>   relative file directly to an ASWTAPE image?

Not that I am aware of.

> o Or do they build interim tapes and filter those to AWSTAPE?

Not quite. My thought was to just output the files that normally go to
tape to sequential DASD files instead, then add one JCL to collect all
the pieces into one multi-file AWS/HET file, also on DASD.  It does
generate a bit more DASD use for the intermediate files, but once the
AWS/HET file is generated the intermediate files can be deleted.

> What is a good ASWTAPE package?  I looked at a couple on CBTTAPE,
> and they seemed nice, but not quite ready for Prime Time.
> Likewise, what enterprise-grade utility would they distribute to
> customers to unwind AWSTAPE?

I'm not totally current on the "best" AWS/HET utility out there.  If I
were looking for myself, I would certainly look at CBT versions.  If you
don't think they are "ready for Prime Time", you can always improve
it/them yourself and contribute the better mousetrap back to the
community.

And I would distribute an XMIT file of a JCL PDS and an XMIT file of a
load-module PDS containing the very same AWS/HET utility that I used to
create the files in the first place.

The term "enterprise grade" is sometimes overrated.  Sometimes it's
"good enough" if it does well the one job you ask it to do.

Obviously, YMMV.  It was just a small suggestion.

Peter
and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.