Up unit a couple of weeks ago we were still using dumb 3270's/3174's for
consoles.

When one of the 3174's went belly up we lost both of the consoles on one
LPAR.

We now have IP attached consoles via 2074's.

I figured that it would do any good to say 'I told you so'

Jerry

"Schwarz, Barry A" <barry.a.schw...@boeing.com>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
03/05/2009 02:50 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
Re: 3490E cartridges

Aren't beliefs a wonderful thing.

Since one customer is still using 3270 style dumb terminals exclusively, I
can assure you of at least one mainframe shop without a PC.  We would be
quite willing to give them one but it wouldn't help since they don't have
a TCP/IP network either.  While we could probably find the software, it
won't work without a 3172 type network controller.  By the way, that
mainframe does not have OSAs or HMCs.

There is another site that does have a Support Element (almost an HMC) but
I cannot find any documentation on how to run any application other than
the Support Element Workplace (I think that's what it is called).  In
particular, I would love to start either a telnet or ftp session with the
mainframe but gave up several years ago.

I'm perfectly willing to say bus and tag is obsolete.  I shudder any time
I have to relocate one of those cables.  Simply uncoiling it can cause it
to crack internally, especially if it has been untouched for dozens of
years.  I would willingly visit my in-laws if I never had to touch another
one.

My point is that obsolescence is not necessarily at the top of a customers
decision making priority list.  A obsolete device/system that works
satisfactorily does in fact work satisfactorily, even if it is obsolete.
If the customer is willing to pay the overhead associated with using
obsolete equipment, I see no reason not to support them as long as we can.
 We all know the situation cannot last forever but part of what they pay
me for is to make it last as long as possible, or at least until they can
upgrade.