On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:32:52 -0500, Coatney, Bill <bill.coat...@anpac.com>
wrote:

>We are looking into consolidating three data centers into one.
>
>We would like to keep our sysplexes separate for the most part, at least
>in the beginning, due to having different security packages, different
>layouts, and strategies.
>
>We would however like to share a tape silo, tape drives, and the CDS
>that controls the tapes, but keep the rest of our XCF structures
>separate.
>
>How difficult would it be, or can it even be done, setting up a sysplex
>with sort of sub-sysplexes?

It depends on what you are sharing and what the integrity managers are.

We share DASD between 2 sysplexes using MII.  We share tape resources
across those same sysplexes with MIA.  Since the DASD is shared the
tape catalog (formerly TLMS, now CA1) is also shared.

We also share a Sun/STK SL8500 silo and several VSM boxes (virtual
tape) with those 2 sysplex and 3 other monoplex LPARs.  Each one
of the monoplex LPARs has it's own CA-1 and virtual volume range.  There
is also a 3 system MIAplex between those 3 systems so a pool of virtual
tape drives from the VSMs can be shared across those 3 systems.

On the other side of the house... everything is sysplex in scope as far
as sharing except VSM and SL8500 tape silos.  Those are shared in a
similar fashion between a couple of sysplexes.    The CDS (primary and
backup) are on shared DASD volumes between those sysplexes and
are protected with RESERVE.

HTH,

Mark
--