Mark Zelden pisze:
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:50:47 +0100, R.S. <r.skoru...@snip.it> wrote:

Coatney, Bill pisze:
We are looking into consolidating three data centers into one.

We would like to keep our sysplexes separate for the most part, at least
in the beginning, due to having different security packages, different
layouts, and strategies.

We would however like to share a tape silo, tape drives, and the CDS
that controls the tapes, but keep the rest of our XCF structures
separate.
Sharing STK silo across sysplexes is quite easy to do.
1. Any system that use tapes should have SMC "agent" installed.
2. Those agents should connect to HSC "server". The connection can be
done via TCP/IP, so sysplex boundaries are simply irrelevant.

We don't use the SMC client / server setup. SMC is still required on
all LPARs to manage allocations but every system runs the HSC task since we can share the CDS on DASD. But what you wrote is correct.
I've thought about setting that up for one of my sandbox sysplexes
that has no tape access because we don't want to share the CDS volumes
with the sandbox.

Yes, you do. Even if every system runs its own HSC that system require SMC as well. It is client / server setup.
BTW: Why do you run HSC on each system?
BTW2: Such approach has serious limitation. AFAIR there is a limit of 16 HSCs sharing CDS. Not to mention RESERVE contention for such many systems.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2009 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
wpacony) wynosi 118.763.528 zotych. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchway XXI WZ z dnia 16 marca
2008r., oraz uchway XVI NWZ z dnia 27 padziernika 2008r., moe ulec
podwyszeniu do kwoty 123.763.528 z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym
BRE Banku SA bd w caoci opacone.