Folks

Time updates due DST......again we have much discussion.

But I would like any comments regarding z/OS time, when the customers
accessing the system are not physically located in the same time zone.

I believe the ISO standards support local time display with timezone infomation
such as EST appended. But with timezone acronym usage overloaded...i.e.
EST means Eastern Standard Time, but for which continent.

Although we support applications accessed in other time zones, some of which
do have Daylight Savings adjustments, we do not change our machine time.
The users see "local" time via adjustments made by the application performing
the display.

The Unix approach is one way, but it is not a simple as can be made out, as
the timezone information is kept in more than one location. And it does only
apply to the local machine, and not to remote user access points.

With globalization continuing, I see a need for a standard that allows the host
system to run in "pure" UTC, with only access points modifyng the time display
as required at that access point.

At least, here wher I work, I no longer have to "play" with time changes bi-
annually.

Regards, and thanks for reading,

Bruce Hewson
Resident, Tropical Island Paradise.