On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 03:35:57 -0500, Bruce Hewson wrote:

>Although we support applications accessed in other time zones, some of which
>do have Daylight Savings adjustments, we do not change our machine time.
>The users see "local" time via adjustments made by the application performing
>the display.

Good.

>The Unix approach is one way, but it is not a simple as can be made out, as
>the timezone information is kept in more than one location. And it does only

Don't judge the "Unix approach" by the idiosyncrasies of IBM, which
does worse than most other vendors.  For example, in both Solaris
and OS X the file or link /etc/localtime provides the last resort
system default -- no need to keep the information in more than one
location.  But it's not a POSIX requirement, and IBM doesn't do it.

>apply to the local machine, and not to remote user access points.

Applications connecting to remote user access points can localize
by using the environment variable TZ and the tzset() function.

>With globalization continuing, I see a need for a standard that allows the host
>system to run in "pure" UTC, with only access points modifyng the time display
>as required at that access point.

That pretty much is the "Unix approach".  One regrettable exception
is that the crontab facility does not support offsets for user acces
points.

-- gil