Before I got here the TODs on the CPCs had always been set to local time, so
it might be just a historical quirk at some installations based on the
original installation choice many years ago.

I remember when we changed from TOD=LOCAL to TOD=GMT+offset about 10+ years
ago.  Painful, but the results are worth it.  In our case because we're
ahead of GMT (Aussies) it was a bit of a trick to get the couple datasets
right but no drama after testing (there was a recent discussion on couple
datasets and time changes).  Now it's just adding or taking away the DST
offset on whatever is the sysplex's time source, STP or Timers depending on
the plex.

Note that we still have to bounce some CICS regions as their apps can't
tolerate the backwards move, but going forwards is no outage and backwards
is really no drama except for wayward apps like ours who use local time
instead of GMT.

cheers
Peter