2009/4/1 Timothy Sipples <e99...@jp.ibm.com>:

> As Kirk alluded to, there are also numerous private protocol file transfer
> products, and they do have advantages in many missions.

And it's important to choose a vendor who understands the subtleties
of mainframe datasets in a mostly non-mainframe world.

> By the way, "secure file transfer" is a misnomer when used as we're using
> it here. To be more accurate for the (business-oriented/risk-analyzing)
> boss I would call this "encrypted transfer of raw files without custodial
> controls." (That name is unwieldy, but it's much closer to the truth.
> Perhaps someone has a shorter name that still gets the point across.)

I'm not sure "secure file transfer" is so inaccurate. It covers only
security on the wire, and of course there is much more that's often
needed in the real world. I think "managed file transfer" is the
common industry term for solutions that include not just encryption,
but controls over who can send what and to whom and when,
logging/auditing, retry and failover, delivery guarantees, bandwidth
management, and so on and so on.

Tony H.