Sorry for responding to the list! My bad

>>> Jay Ableidinger <jay.ableidin...@efirstbank.com> 4/3/2009 4:48 PM >>>
"Are you interested in more information on z/OS SSH SFTP ?   We plan on
offering a free webinar on Ported Tools OpenSSH and SFTP.  Please drop me an
email if you are interested and I'll add you to announcement list when it is
available."

Hello Kirk,

I'll be interested in receiving more information on the webinar once its
scheduled.

Thanks

Jay Ableidinger
Sr Security Analyst
FirstBank Data Corp
jay.ableidin...@efirstbank.com
303-235-1408

>>> Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com> 3/31/2009 9:24 AM >>>
Jim,

The two primary non-proprietary protocols and IBM products are:

- FTPS (TLS).  This is supported by z/OS Communications Server.

- SSH SFTP.   This is supported by z/OS Ported Tools - OpenSSH.

FTPS pros -
   Full dataset support by z/OS CS
   Generally, better native z/OS features than Ported Tools SSH

FTPS cons -
   Uses multiple sockets which can be tricky wrt firewalls, NAT routers, etc
   Requires compatible FTPS server

SFTP pros -
   Single socket connection, much more firewall friendly
   SSH/SFTP tends to be more widely available on partner *nix systems than
FTPS

SFTP cons -
   Ported Tools version of OpenSSH doesn't support MVS datasets, SMF, etc.

Other options -

- We offer a free extension to Ported Tools OpenSSH that adds MVS dataset
support and SMF logging to SFTP.
- We also offer a free proxy tool that can be used to tunnel regular FTP
over an SSH connection.
- SSH Communications offers their own completely separate SSH/SFP product
("Tectia").

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com ( http://dovetail.com/ ) ( http://dovetail.com/ )

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Jim McAlpine <jim.mcalp...@gmail.com>wrote:

> What protocols are available to enable secure file transfer with z/OS being
> the client.  I've RTFM but not found a great deal and the archives are not
> helping me very much.
>
> Jim McAlpine

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.