On Tue, 12 May 2009 13:09:21 -0400, Horne, Jim - James S
<jim.s.ho...@lowes.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We are planning to upgrade one of our 2094s dynamically from a 712 to a
714.  IBM assures us that their stuff will work.  Since we have the two
engines in reserve our understanding is that we can simply configure them
online without an IPL or Activate.  My question is in two parts.  Has anyone
done this and were there any issues with third party products?

>Thanks,

Part 1:  Yes, many times... upgrades and downgrades

PArt 2:  Depends (of course).  Software that only cares about the serial
will be fine (but you still may be violating a contract if you don't notify the
vendor).  Software that cares about the model number or capacity could
have a problem.   An ENF signal is sent when the upgrade happens so anyone
who cares and is listening will know about it.  SYSEVENT QVS will tell
the software what the capacity is.  I do know of some software that does
this sort of thing.  One example is Compuware LMS.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com