Hi Jim --

I think the engines just be in the LPAR configuration as 'reserved' at the
previous IPL for MVS to recognize them. PR/SM can use additional engines
lowering the logical to physical ratio, but MVS only builds enough control
blocks on for the number of initial engines plus the number of reserved
engines.

This may have been improved with recent releases of z/OS but this was
certainly an issue in the past.

Regards,

Al
Al Sherkow, I/S Management Strategies, Ltd.
Consulting Expertise on Capacity Planning, Performance Tuning,
zPricing, LPARs, IRD and LCS Software