From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Vikesh Bhoola
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:55 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: INFOZIP >2Gb

Thanks to all that responded.
It appears that no one has experienced the same or had tried zipping
data larger than 2Gb.

The business purpose is to reduce data transmission time for data sent
to feed our data warehouse application.

What is of concern is INFOZIP job ended with RC=0 when it didn't ZIP the
entire file - it should have failed the job to indicate a problem.

Some interesting stats (for zipping a 651Mb file)
                        CPU Time        Elapse Time     Compression
                (sec)           (sec)           (%)
JAR                     68.4            286.6           93
INFOZIP (fast)  23.4             40.8           92
INFOZIP (normal)        40.2             48             93

We would have liked INFOZIP to work for files > 2Gb as it appears to be
quicker than the jar method.
I guess the best free working solution is the jar function. It takes a
bit longer, but it does the job.

Our windows zip product successfully unzips the 1.2Gb (using jar method)
to 14.6Gb file, so I guess we don't have any 2Gb limit there. So for
INFOZIP, perhaps it's the _LARGE_FILES feature macro as mentioned - not
sure how to get pass that though.

Now we need to determine if the solution is viable ie. the time to do
the actual compression versus what we gain in reducing the data
transmission time.

Thanks to all for sharing.

Regards,
Vikesh Bhoola