From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Barbara Nitz
Sent: 23 June 2009 11:23
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: And you ask why I hate OMVS?

This past weekend I had the dubious honour of shutting down and IPLing 5

systems, two of them with USS work. The shutting down part was really
bad
(now I know why our operators keep complaining).

One lpar has my favourite hate-application running (called WBIFN, for
all you
European SWIFT customers). Around seven minutes into the shutdown
(another lpar with similar workload but not this appliaction was already
down
after 7 minutes) D A,L revealed that there were some DB2s plus WBIFN
still
running plus the necessary system infrastructure. And one thing with the

jobname of a TSO user, but OMVSEX in the step info, so the userid
belonged
to some USS process? thread? application? And they seemend to multiply
while
I was looking at them. Canceling any of them didn't really help, never
mind
that the duplicate jobname requires using the asid, which requires a
list first.
By the time I get around to killing the pid, it's already gone.

Then I saw that *something* still had open DB2 threads, for which
automation
has made provisions and forces things out. So I thought that this must
be
related to this user. Given that I couldn't stop it from multiplying,
much less
get out of the system (f bpxoinit,shutdown=forkinit was replied with
'shutdown
delayed'), I shut down the fork service.

That stopped the multiplication, but a few of those 'user asids with a
number'
were still around. And it was a VERY bad idea to shutdown the fork
service, as
that effectively prevented WBIFN from terminating eventually (it never
terminates in a timely manner, anyway). I ended up canceling things,
which
generated tons of coredumps which filled the directory, which eventually

prevented the startup of this application. (And no, these useless
coredumps
cannot be prevented, believe me, I've tried.)

The good news was that after 20 minutes I had WBIFN and that userid shut

down, and then automation did the rest (in the case of our operators,
they
never get automation to do 'the rest').

So how are other installations handling system shutdown when there are
active USS users (or at least their leftover processes)? For a 'pure'
MVS, I can
shutdown TSO and the Initiators, cancel any running batch jobs, and I am

done. But how do I stop the USS things from multiplying?

And this Tuesday, that users leftover processes are back. I tried
killing the top
one (right under ppid=1), but that only resulted in another process
under
ppid=1 (that killed process was just dropped). superkill didn't help,
either. Isn't
there any surefire way to get the whole tree stopped in one fell swoop?
(and
no, I won't kill pid 1).

(An OMVS ignoramus is asking this, so please be gentle with me)

Best regards, Barbara

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Standard Bank email Disclaimer and confidentiality note

This e-mail, its attachments and any rights attaching hereto are, unless the
content clearly indicates otherwise, the property of
Standard Bank Group Limited and its subsidiaries. It is confidential, private
and intended for only the addressee.

Should you not be the addressee and receive this e-mail by mistake, kindly
notify the sender, and delete this e-mail immediately.
Do not disclose or use it in any way. Views and opinions expressed in this
e-mail are those of the sender unless clearly stated as
those of Standard Bank Group.

Standard Bank Group accepts no liability for any loss or damages howsoever
incurred, or suffered, resulting, or arising,
from the use of this email or its attachments.

Standard Bank Group does not warrant the integrity of this e-mail nor that it
is free of errors, viruses, interception or interference.

Licensed divisions of the Standard Bank Group are authorised financial services
providers in terms of the Financial Advisory and
Intermediary Services Act, No 37 of 2002 (FAIS).

For information about the Standard Bank Group visit our website
http://www.standardbank.com