Thank for confirming that we have to look at all programs in APF
libraries, not just the AC=1 ones.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Wayne Driscoll
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:28 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Of link lists and application programs

That is correct.  A job step task is authorized (via the JSCBAUTH bit
being set in the JSCB) during initiation by the operating system if (and
only if) the following occur:
1 - All libraries in the TASKLIB or STEPLIB/JOBLIB concatenation are APF
authorized.
2 - The program that is being initiated was link edited with AC=1.
Once the job step task is authorized, it will remain authorized unless
if it makes itself unauthorized.  Because of this, ALL programs loaded
by this job step task MUST come from an APF authorized library,
regardless of the AC value when they are linked.  However, any attempt
to load a program
from an unauthorized library will fail with system abend 306.   The only

time that I am certain that the system looks at the AC value from the
linkage editor (bindor) is when initiating a Job Step TCB.  All other
usages of ATTACH and all usages of LINK, LOAD and XCTL don't look, don't
care.
However, I will STRONGLY advise that ONLY programs designed to be run as
job step tasks (ie main programs) should be linked with AC=1 because if
a module that is designed to run as a subprogram gets linked with AC=1
it could be possible that running this program as a job step task could
compromise system integrity.

Wayne Driscoll
OMEGAMON DB2 L3 Support/Development
wdrisco(AT)us.ibm.com

Chris Nelson <chris.nelson.b...@statefarm.com> Sent by: IBM Mainframe
Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
07/30/2009 09:45 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
Re: Of link lists and application programs

>From what I have read in documentation, it seems to me that even a
module linked AC=0 is still authorized if LINK/XCTLed from an authorized
library by a program that is AC=1 (or greater).   So any program in a
Library that is APF authorized can potentially be running authorized,
not just the modules with AC=1 (or greater)

Did I read or understand that documentation wrong?