On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:27:38 -0500, Paul Gilmartin
<paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>o Does the OS hold LNKLST data sets open, thwarting reclaim
>  of PDSE unused space?

LLA and XCFAS on every LPAR in the Sysplex that has the dataset
in the LLA.   Depending on how many LPARs have the dataset LLAed
you can have a LOT of work to get that space reclaimed.

(Note: rambling anecdote follows. )

In my previous shop I had a loadlib of a non-IBM product in the
linklist.  Maintenance of this product was separate from our
standard mantenance procedures.  Once maintenance had been
applied and tested in its target libraries I would bring the product
down on all LPARs, copy from target libraries into "run time"
libraries, compress them, do an LLA UPDATE on all LPARs, and
restart the product.

I got tired of having the loadlib overallocated to handle the copy
so I switched to a PDSE with just a little extra space.   All was fine
until I had maintenance to apply.  I was able to copy 4 out of a
couple hundred modules before the library filled.  Out of panic I
decided to delete all modules from the library and tried again.   :-(
Very bad decission!

I knew of no way of seeing who had the library open but after
seeing 12 ENQUEUEs on it, I gave up.  A few minutes later I was
back on a PDS.

Pat O'Keefe