Rob,

One of the best strategies I feel I used to prevent problems with large
dataset allocations was to stop doing it. Rather than trying to manage
primary space requests of 1000-2000 cyls I made a standard of 500 CYL
primary and secondary for any dataset larger than 500 CYLS.

I improved that change with a unit count of five in the dataclas, and
release immediate in the management class. The net result was large datasets
were almost always multivolume, and fragmentation was rarely a problem
because you never requested more than a 500 CYL extent. Forget trying to
cater for all those 2000 CYL primary requests.

I also augmented this with SRS rules, particularly primary space reduction,
secondary space reduction, increase secondary, and addvol. It was not
unusual to find 4-5GB datasets across 10-15 volumes, which we found to be a
good thing.

Why was it a good thing? Because many of these large datasets were used by
5-10 reporting jobs all running at the same time. Having the datasets spread
across multiple volumes meant that only one or two jobs were reading the
dataset concurrently from a volume, even though ten jobs were reading the
dataset concurrently. If the datasets were allocated as a large dataset on a
single volume, that volume and the underlying array group would get
hammered.

It lead me to introduce looking at the busiest datasets at part of SMS
implementation and making sure they were always spread over enough volumes
that each volume did ten IOs or less. That was the sort of IO rate that made
the dataset generic and low impact to other workload. Ten IOPS may be a
little low now we HyperPAV and faster disk architectures.

Ron