I am not sure how valid it is anymore (it was more than 10 years ago).  We
did it after the initial implementation... the fragmentation was messing
with the large data set allocations.  With Large and extended format.. it
may not be an issue.  But I would keep it in mind if things start to get
"weird".  IBM never recommended it .. but it straightened things out at the
time.

Rob Schramm
Senior Systems Consultant
Imperium Group