This will depend on the printer available.
In "modern" (FSVO of modern) printers, the barcode font is "included" in the
printer. YMMV.

In an nutshell,  AFP(via COBOL)  is used to print a string with a font that
corresponds to the bar code chosen.
There are logic rules to be followed to produce a valid string to represented
by a "3 of 9" barcode. i.e. abc is not a valid barcode and the scanner will
reject it.

I have done the same thing in assembler. Sorry, I don't have any COBOL  or "3
of 9" samples for you.  I can dig up the assembler source if needed,
which should point you in the correct direction. However, the logic will need
to be altered for "3 of 9".

HTH,

<snip>
G'day mates,
                This is my second attempt to get information about how to print
barcodes on a report that is created in a Cobol program on a mainframe IBM
platform. My particular issue is I do not understand how to look at a barcode
and know what is required on the printline to satisfy the input requirements of
the barcode logic.
                My installation is using AFP formats and fonts and printing via
Infopac and / or RMDS.
                The particular barcode I am interested in is known as '3 of 9'.
                If you have a cobol program that is sending a 13 digit UPC
number to a '3 of 9' barcode I would like to see the working storage variables
and the procedure division logic you are using.

</snip>