If you are using AFP, you can create BCOCA (Bar Code Object Content
Architecture) bar codes instead of using fonts.
See how to use the AFP Toolbox from COBOL applications to create bar
codes.  The AFP Toolbox documentation is in the PSF bookshelf.    Here is
the latest level bookshelf:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/SHELVES/apsbk430

Regards,
--Roger