I am making changes to make re-entrant our assembler routines that are called
by COBOL programs.  I'm trying to decide what are the best default options for
the program binder.  It appears that if the option REUS=RENT is given to the
binder then the executable (PO or load module) is given the binder specified
attributes of RENT=YES and REUS=YES, even if there are some (sub)programs
statically linked that are assembled/compiled with NORENT.

Further, it appears that one can use the COMPAT(LKED) option to change this
behavior so that in the above case the module would be given the RENT=NO and
REUS=NO attributes.

The above seems to me to be a much better way to go.  But I wonder if I am
losing any capabilities by specifying COMPAT(LKED).  We currently don't specify
the COMPAT option at all, so I guess it defaults to COMPAT(MIN).  Being as
we're talking just COBOL applications with the occasional assembler subroutine
I can't imagine that we'd ever use one of the other COMPAT options.  But then
again, I don't know.

Anyway, in the end I imagine we'll convert all assembler routines to be
reentrant; and we already compile all COBOL programs with the RENT option.
But, even though we don't have a large number of assembler routines, I'd prefer
not to have to make them all reentrant before we can start using the REUS=RENT
binder option.

BTW; this is all being done so that we can use the CICS RENTPGM=PROTECT option
and actually have the programs loaded into read only memory.  Currently we
don't specify a REUS option in our COBOL program binder step, so even though
they are all compiled RENT CICS does not consider them reentrant and thus does
not load them in to (E)RDSA.

Thanks,
Frank