I assume your query is directed to me, the original poster.

The assembler subroutines are being used for some fairly basic processing that
simply isn't available in COBOL (or wasn't at the time the assembler routines
were written):
- calling of a few basic macros (POST, STIMER [STIMER not used under CICS
though!])
- A routine to "expand" each bit to a byte (x'F0' or x'F1') and to "unexpand"
same
- A routine to get the address of a working-storage area
- A routine to perform an XOR operation

- EBCDIC/ASCII translation
- A basic compression routine
- A "base 94" conversion routine

- Some other things that probably should have been done in COBOL but were done
in assembler for reasons unknown to me...

Frank