Interesting.  Looks like I can use COMPAT(LKED) and still create program
objects (both format 2 and format 3).  I guess maybe it's that one simply
cannot explicitly request a PM level of higher than the program requires if you
specify COMPAT(LKED).  But (apparently) it behaves like COMPAT(MIN) on other
respects; specifically that "the binder should select
the minimum PM level that supports the features actually in use for
the current bind".

Does that make sense?
Frank