From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Anne & Lynn Wheeler
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:48 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented the Internet?

sbire...@rocketsoftware.com (Steve Bireley) writes:
> About 10 years ago I was in a meeting with Vint Cerf and couple of
> others executive from Worldcom.  One of our sales guys made a joke
> about Al Gore inventing the Internet.  Instead of starting the
> meeting, Vint invited us to his office to show us pictures of him with
> Al Gore (and a bunch of other famous people), and gave us a short
> history lesson of the Internet and the large role Al Gore played in
> making the Internet available to the public instead of keeping it for
> the military and academia.  Though Al's role was only legislative, I
> found it interesting that Vint Cerf gave him so much credit.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#83 Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented
the Internet?

as referenced upthread and old email, the NSFNET backbone funding was coming
out of funding for the supercomputing efforts to promote better USA global
computing competitiveness ... originally I was going to get $20m ... but then
the NSF budget got cut and corporate politics prevented me from doing anything
directly (and the communication group was spreading mis-information about how
SNA would apply to NSFNET backbone).

some other articles starting to appear ... like

Obama Was Right: The Government Invented the Internet; Don't believe the
outrageous conservative claim that every tech innovation came from private
enterprise.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/07/who_invented_the_internet_the_outrageous_conservative_claim_that_every_tech_innovation_came_from_private_enterprise_.html

and

No credit for Uncle Sam in creating Net? Vint Cerf disagrees
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57479781-93/no-credit-for-uncle-sam-in-creating-net-vint-cerf-disagrees/

one of the comments in the article:

You might have ended up with OSI. Many engineers considered this to be an
overly complex design and it was not very much implemented.

... snip ...

I would suggest that one of the contributing factors for internet breaking free
for commercial use ... was federal government started to mandate OSI (GOSIP)
and the elimination of internet/tcpip. at interop88, lots of booths were
showing OSI products for federal gov. & federal gov.
contractor customers. misc. past posts mentioning interop88
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#88

the other issue was there were a lot of commercial interests contributing
(unfunded) resources to the NSFNET backbone with motivation to enhance
environment for the development of the next generation bandwith hungry
applications ... also mentioned upthread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#88 Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented
the Internet?

browsers and html had started to appear ... and companies were being formed to
produce commercial versions.

mentioned in original post, GML evolution to SGML & then HTML, as well as first
webserver (on slac's vm370 system) outside europe

one of the early browsers was done at the supercomputer appication
datacenter/univ (part of the NSF supercomputer effort & NSFNET backbone).
people left and formed a startup in silicon valley.

for other trivia ... we are doing ha/cmp product along with cluster scaleup ...
old post with reference to early jan1992 meeting in ellison's conference room
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

old cluster scaleup related email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#medusa

possibly within hrs of the last email in above (end Jan1992), the scaleup is
transferred we are told we can't work on anything with more than four
processors. within a couple weeks it is announced as supercomputer ... press
item from 17Feb1992
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001n.html#6000clusters1

we then decide to leave. now two of the other people in the early
jan1992 meeting, also leave and join small client/server startup responsible
for something called "commerce server"; we get called in to consult because
they want to do payment transactions on their server; the startup had also
invented technology called "SSL", the result is now frequently called
"electronic commerce". The startup is also using a corporate name that was used
at the supercomputer application datacenter/univ ... the univ objects. One of
the major router vendors in silicon valley has an unused trademarked name that
is donated for the startups new name.