I think std::string is pretty much identical across gcc, MS VC++, and XLC++.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Kirk Wolf
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2012 1:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: The IBM zEnterprise EC12 announcment

Scott,

Hearsay, hearsay :-)

We have found that Java performance can be excellent.   The biggest problem
is that Java programmers commonly write poor performing applications that
are bogged down with huge, expensive libraries and frameworks.   The same
can be said for huge Java applications servers.   Java makes it easy to use
and resuse literally thousands of Java libraries, but it also makes it easy
to use lots of CPU resources.   But it doesn't have to be that way, and the
Java Languages and SDK/JVM are not to blame.   Programmers need to not only
know how to use a library, but when to use it, and what the cost trade-offs
are.

I also don't understand your comments about C, can you elaborate?   The
z/OS C documentation is quite good I think.   A good C programmer with
knowledge of z/OS facilities (especially LE) can succeed with the IBM tools,
which include debuggers, profilers, assembler listings, etc, etc.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com