>>> On 9/4/2012 at 10:07 AM, Bruno Sugliani <oldti...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Interesting
> Could you provide real numbers ?
> For example to start with :  the price for Linux server license on an IFL
> and the one on a x86 server ?

https://www.suse.com/products/systemz/how-to-buy/
https://www.suse.com/products/server/how-to-buy/
https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/server/

But that's not middleware, which is where far more significant costs come into
play.  Oracle, DB2, WebSphere are all licensed by the number of processors in a
system.  Oracle charges slightly more for System z processors, but not much.
See my reply to Richard Hintz for pointers to my presentation that has real
dollars listed.

For most shops, every production system has a fair number of ancillary systems
configured the same, or close to it: dev/test, QA, DR, cluster failover, etc.
A lot of people conveniently forget to count these systems, which must all be
licensed as well, when doing TCO or TCA calculations.  It doesn't take very
many middleware licenses to pay for a z10BC or z114.  The government of Quebec
bought a brand-new (at the time) z9 to run Oracle, and recovered the entire
cost within 12 months from licensing savings.

Mark Post