r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl (R.S.) writes:
> 1. 300? Only 300? Why not 30000?
> I can buy good memory for 6,6 $ per GB, IBM wanted recently 8k$ per
> GB. 1000+ times more. Now it's cheaper - "only" 1500 $/GB. I can also
> buy CPU for 150$, while IFL costs approx 150 k$.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#81 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee

note part of the enormous growth in servers was that they were viewed as
nearly zero cost item ... so people costs to manage multiple
applications was greater than just having server per application. some
operations then found that that they might have grown to hundreds of
thousands of servers ...  and that the provisioning became a single
large budget item (but still less than traditional people costs of
manage multiple applications per server).  Note that this is different
than the cloud mega-datacenters with hundreds of thousands of servers
... which developed their own RAS, management & adminstsrative strategy
... and actual have processor use that justifies the hundreds of
thousands of servers (and millions of processors).

vmware (and others) move into the market using virtual machines to
drastically reduce the cost of managing multiple applications per server
... they were claiming 10:1 server consolidation for the previous
generation over the generation before that.

newest e5-2600 with 527BIPS, 315GBLOPS, 421watts, and claiming 20:1
server consolidation over the previous generation ... at IBM base list
price of $1815 for e5-2600 blade.

this is compared to 80 processor z196 with 50BIPS, ??GFLOPS, 31.7Kw at
$28M (and IBM claiming it effectively earns roughly $5.25M in mainframe
services, software, and storage for every $1M in mainframe sold) ...
bringing 80 processor z196 to $175M