I guess that I should preface this with another question. Does anybody use a z
for heavy numeric computation anymore? Or has that all gone to Intel and Power
boxes? Why is that? If it is because the z architecture is "not good" at
numeric computation, I have a question. The internals of the z has used the
PCIe bus for some time. Wouldn't that imply that it would be at least
theoretically possible to plug in any PCIe card? OK, I understand that there
would need to be some way to access it. But, in conjunction with the previous
question about computational ability, couldn't this be used for "GPU
computation". It seems to be that the "really heavy" computation is being moved
from the CPU (Intel) onto the GPU (AMD or Nvidia graphics processor). Would it
make any monetary sense to enable GPU computation on a z? Long ago, there were
"vector" instructions. Why not some sort of interface instruction(s) which
allow loading a GPU processing program to be placed in a GPU on a PCIe card and
then have some way to suspend the unit of work until the GPU computation is
complete? Likewise have an API to request access to a GPU which would suspend
the unit of work until a GPU was available and assign the GPU to the unit of
work?

Weird thoughts from a weird person.

--
John McKown