>>> On 9/5/2012 at 12:45 PM, "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>
>>> wrote:

> I guess that I should preface this with another question. Does anybody use a
> z for heavy numeric computation anymore? Or has that all gone to Intel and
> Power boxes? Why is that? If it is because the z architecture is "not good"
> at numeric computation, I have a question.

As has been pointed out in another thread here, the dollar cost per instruction
is much higher on System z than other architectures.  So for purely
computational workloads, although System z may have a faster CPU than the other
architectures, it costs more for the same amount of computation.  A lot of high
performance computing is "restartable" in that if a computation node fails,
starting that piece of work over from the beginning isn't hard.  Most of the
qualities that are built into System z aren't needed for that type of work, so
no need to spend the big bucks for it.

Mark Post