Someone who doesn't have access to your mail account and password can still always forge an Email FROM address, but in most cases the routing headers should reveal the fraud. As there is no forced agreement between the SMTP logon and the EMail-client-supplied FROM address (there are legitimate reasons for differences), a forger could establish their own account with the same ISP and send from that to get the correct routing headers, but that would involve cost and also leave an incriminating audit trail. With appropriate tools and incentive, one can forge plausible (but not perfect) bogus routing headers that would suggest mail with a forged web mail FROM address came from the appropriate server for that forged address; but since only a small minority of Internet Email users know how to examine routing headers or how to interpret them and this would also require additional research and effort for the forger, most forgers don't bother with this. There's nothing special about web mail Email addresses that makes them any more difficult to forge, since there's no need for forged Email to actually originate from the web-mail server or ISP server that the forged headers imply.

If you really need your Email recipients to be certain you are the originator of Emails claiming to be from you, you probably should be using digital signatures on your Email and be sure your contacts know how to verify your signature. In most cases, it's simpler for all parties to just remember that any FROM address may be bogus and act with appropriate caution.
  JC Ewing

On 09/20/2012 04:47 PM, J R wrote:
That's what he said, "Web pages *do* require passwords to access your account."
  > Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:54:16 -0400
From:scott_j_f...@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: OT - disappearing responses
To:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

Mike,

I don't follow the logic can you elaborate for me ?
I thought all web mail needed passwords ? If I am mistake man I want to know

Scott ford
www.identityforge.com

On Sep 20, 2012, at 11:57 AM, Mike Schwab<mike.a.sch...@gmail.com>  wrote:

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM, zMan<zedgarhoo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Mike Schwab<mike.a.sch...@gmail.com>wrote:

That account goes away if you change providers or move and have to
change providers.  Plus it enables a lot of impersonation.  And when
you upload any attachments, you are certain it gets to your email host
anyway.
"Plus it enables a lot of impersonation."?? Huh? How is a webmail account
any more immune to this?
--
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"
Someone could start their PC, start their email client, enter your
pages do require passwords to access your account.
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA

Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, arjcew...@acm.org