Spoofing email is rather simple. I can do it myself just using Linux and
Sendmail. Now, if somebody is really paying attention, they can detect this by
looking at all the headers. And it is even possible to get around this, if the
hacker can connect to the receipt ant's ISP using the SMTP port. I know that my
ISP blocks all outgoing connections on the SMTP port, unless it is to their
email server. So the only way to really do it is to crack the user's email
provider's email server. How difficult that is depends on the expertise of the
email server's admins. I would guess that, like most, some are excellent and
others are tofu.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

<snip>

> John,
>
> you're missing his point: it's not that your home computer
> can be broken into. It's that using his or her own computer
> they can spoof your email address, as you suggest in the
> next paragraph.

Ah, I see. I read "it's not YOUR PC, it's the HACKER's PC" as meaning "the PC
in your home does not belong to you, it belongs to the HACKER who is stealthily
using it without your knowledge". I guess I should have read it as "your email
account can be spoofed on the hacker's PC". My mistake.