On 9/20/2012 10:59 AM, McKown, John wrote:
I must respectively disagree about my home PC. I am not responsible for my
work PC's security. At home, I run Fedora Linux, not MS-Windows (due to a
company policy, I do have one MS-Windows laptop. It is powered off 90+% of the
time). I mostly run GPL'd or other "open source" software at home. I will grant
that a hacker could possibly infect one of the Fedora repositories. But I firmly
believe that would be difficult and likely detected fairly quickly by RedHat.

John,

you're missing his point: it's not that your home computer
can be broken into. It's that using his or her own computer
they can spoof your email address, as you suggest in the
next paragraph.

I guess that somebody could "spoof" my email account. That is outside my
control. I guess that could be used in some "social engineering" context. I also
have identity theft "protection", for whatever that might actually be worth.

Spoofing your email account can be done outside some social
engineering contxt. At least that seems to be the concensus
in this conversation, although I lack the technical knowledge
of how to do it myself.

I don't know what identity theft protection is really worth.
Could be lots, could be nothing.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* Check out our sale of training materials at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/SpecialSale/

  (sale absolutely ends 19 October, 2012)

* Let us know if you are interested in our
  training materials reseller program