Am 23.09.2012 19:33, schrieb Steve Comstock:
On 9/23/2012 11:07 AM, James A Huckert wrote:
What is the MVS Basic course?
I just got into z/OS programming from a Production control position and I
am trying to get a grasp of all the system jargon and such. My employer
won't allow any training so I am on my own. Anyone got any good ideas on
websites / books I can learn from? I have found some stuff but nothing
relevant to todays mainframes.

Thanks

Tim

So your employer is IBM and your employer won't allow any training.

Man that kind of thing just drives me nuts! IBM should be in the
forefront of providing training to their employees (and they used
to, many years ago) but they are being driven by the bean counters
and not real managers.

I also couldn't believe it, and even checked the mail headers to see
if the mail indeed comes from an IBM account, but it seems so ...

Very sad ...

I first would like to ask the OP what kind of experience he had with
z/OS or mainframes during his production control assignment, if any.
Maybe there is some experience to build upon ...

There will be a price to pay down the road, but everyone is just
focused on this quarter. Ugh.

Well, here are a few websites, in no particular order, that might
have information you can use:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/zfavorites/
http://www.mainframeforum.com/index.php
http://www.mainframes.com/index.htm
http://planetmvs.com/
http://gsf-soft.com/

and, maybe to help convince management of the value of training:

http://www.trainersfriend.com/Convincing.html

Good luck.